Mascara is a quick and easy way to make your eyes stand out and look appealing. Not only can mascara darken your eyelashes, it also makes them longer and thicker. While you might discount the importance of eyelashes in your makeup, the truth is that without appealing eye lashes, no eye makeup looks complete. Moreover, mascara can work standalone as well, without the application of eyeshadow etc. On the other hand, improper application of mascara can actually draw attention to all the wrong things and worse, give you raccoon eyes. However, we are here to help, so worry not and read on to find out how you can apply mascara professionally at home.
Find the right brand
Most women swear by particular mascara brands and stick with them for life. This is because finding the right mascara is as important as properly applying it. While nearly all brands claim to enhance your appearance, the large variety on offer can confuse you. Here are some tips to help you choose a mascara if you don’t already have a brand.
- Decide whether you want to lengthen your eyelashes, curl them or increase their volume. If you want longer lashes, go with a lengthening formula and if you want thicker ones, you will need volume. Some mascaras can do both, so if possible go for a mascara that can lengthen your lashes and give them volume.
- If you intend to wear your mascara all day, you will need to select a waterproof variety which can withstand light washing and sweating during the day. However, waterproof mascaras are relatively harder to take off, so you will also need a good remover to go with it.
- If you have sensitive eyes or use contacts, you should be looking for hypoallergenic mascaras that prevent irritation.
- Even the right color of mascara is important when you are buying. Black makes your eyelashes look fuller and longer and is generally the best choice for all events. However, if you have light hair and skin, black mascara might be too strong.
- Most women make the mistake of pumping the wand in and out of the mascara bottle, which forces air inside. This air causes the mascara to dry up, clump and flake. Instead of pumping the want next time, twist it around to get mascara on it.
- If you are intending to curl your lashes, you should begin from the root and work your way up, making sure you don’t get any skin in the curler. You should hold the curler for about 10 seconds before moving it up and repeating it again.
- When you pull out the wand from the bottle, rub it against the edge to get the excess mascara off it so that your lashes don’t clump together when you apply it.
- When applying mascara, you can start from either the top or bottom. When doing the top lashes, open your eyes fully and look straight ahead. Now move the brush from the base up in a curling motion. Repeat this for about 3 times before moving on to the bottom lashes. Now you can tilt your head forward and start brushing from the root to the tip in a downward curl motion.
Once you are done, check your cheeks for any drops of mascara and dab them with a tissue paper to get them off. Hopefully, using these tips, you will be able to not just select the best mascara but also apply it like professional!